Telstra Business AwardsOverview
These Awards are renowned for showcasing and celebrating the achievements and entrepreneurial spirit of Australia’s most brilliant small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs).
There are four Award categories:
- Emerging and Energised: For the newcomers (less than three years in operation) that are just starting out but already making a huge impact.
- Medium and Making Waves: For businesses that are kicking goals in every area. The category is open to businesses with an annual turnover over $3 million and under 200 employees.
- Small and Succeeding: For businesses that are punching above their weight. The category is open to businesses with an annual turnover less than $3 million and under 200 employees.
- Social Change Maker: For organisations where a positive social impact is at the core of their purpose. Open to not-for-profit, social enterprise and profit-for-purpose organisations (contributing a minimum of 10% of their profits back to the cause).
In addition to the Telstra Australian Business of the Year Award – the most prestigious award of them all – which will be chosen by our Judges and will go to one of the National Category Winners, the two new additional categories - the Alumni Achievement and People’s Choice awards, which cannot be entered and are decided by the Judges and a public vote respectively.
The prizes are:
- Industry leading technology package
- Attendance at prestigious State and national events
- Commemorative certificate or trophy
Eligible nominees include businesses that must:
- Reside in Australia.
- Have a registered Australian Business Number (ABN).
- Have been operating for at least 12 months, as at 9 April 2018.
- Be more than 60% Australian-owned, with the owner(s)/founder(s) responsible for making the key management decisions.
- If entering for the Emerging and energised category have been operating in Australia between 12-36 months as at 9 April 2018.
- Earn more than $50,000 in annual revenue.
The nominated business must not:
- Have more than 200 full time equivalent (FTE) staff as at the close of entries date, 9 April 2018.
- Be a listed company, a franchisee, franchisor, a club, co-operative, non-profit organisation or a Telstra licensee.
- Be affiliated with Telstra through investments or donations.
- Be more than 50% owned by another business.
- Be a government agency.
- Have employees who have been involved in the judging of the Awards program in 2016 or 2017.
- Be a commercial supplier to the 2017 Awards.
- Have filed for bankruptcy in the prior five years or been subject to court proceedings in the prior 12 months from the close of entry date, including in the business owner or founder’s personal capacity.
The main assessment criteria include:
- Strategy & vision
- Customers & marketing
- People & culture
- Social responsibility
- Financial acumen
- Innovation & technology
Please refer to the website for the complete information of the assessment criteria.
- Research & Development
- Business Support