Medical Research Future Fund (MRFF) – OverviewOverview
This program aims to provide grants of financial assistance to support health and medical research and innovation, with the objective of improving the health and wellbeing of Australians. It seeks to deliver better and more advanced health care and medical technology for Australians.
The fund is supporting Australia’s greatest minds to discover the next penicillin, pacemaker, cervical cancer vaccine or bionic ear.
The MRFF is in addition and complements the history and ongoing funding of the National Health and Medical Research Council. Its funding aligns with four key streams:
- Research missions
- Research translation
The program may disburse funds by open and contestable or targeted calls for applications. The current grant opportunities are:
- Frontier Health and Medical Research Program (Stage One - Research Plan)
- Million Minds Mission Grant Opportunity
- Targeted Health System and Community Organisation Research Grant Opportunity
- Keeping Australians Out of Hospital Grant Opportunity
- International Clinical Trial Collaborations Grant Opportunity
- Biomedical Translation Bridge Grant
- Researcher Exchange and Development within Industry Initiative (REDI)
- Medical Research Future Fund (MRFF) – Emerging Priorities and Consumer Driven Research
- Medical Research Future Fund (MRFF) – Rural, Regional and Remote Clinical Trial Enabling Infrastructure Program
Each MRFF program has its own program guidelines, eligibility criteria, funding arrangements and processes for identifying investment.
The fund was announced in the 2014-15 Australian Government Budget with a total funding pool of $20 billion, $1.4 billion of which will be spent in the first five years.
Please refer to the individual programs for the specific eligibility requirements.
Please refer to the individual programs for the specific eligible activities.
Please refer to the individual programs for the specific assessment criteria.
- Research & Development
- Business Support