Local Sporting Champions ProgramOverview
This program aims to provide financial assistance for coaches, officials and competitors aged 12-18 participating in state, national or international championships. It is designed to support sportspeople through the teenage years when research shows that the largest dropout rates occur and to ease the financial burden on their families, which will hopefully lead to lower dropout rates.
Grants between $500 and $750 are available, as follows:
- Base grant: $500
- Applicants travelling 800km – 1999km to their nominated championships: +$100
- Applicants travelling internationally or greater than 2000km to their nominated championships: +$200
- Applicants residing in a rural electorate: +$50
Applicants can receive a maximum of two grants per allocation year.
To increase the chance of receiving a grant, applicants are encouraged to submit an application for each competition they attend. Applications for competitions greater than six months away may be assessed in a later round closer to the competition date.
Eligible applicants include young people that must:
- Be turning 12 to 18 years of age in the same calendar year as the nominated sporting championship.
- Be an Australian citizen or have been granted permanent resident status, residing in Australia.
- Be participating as an athlete, coach, umpire or referee in either/or:
a) An official State championships endorsed by the relevant Australian Sports Commission (ASC) recognised national sporting organisation (NSO).
b) An official State school sport championship endorsed by a School Sport Australia member body.
c) An official national championships endorsed by the relevant ASC recognised NSO.
d) A national school sport championships endorsed by School Sport Australia.
e) An international competition as a member of an official Australian team, endorsed by an ASC recognised NSO or School Sport Australia.
- Be living more than 125km from the championship venue, and travelling greater than 250km return to participate in the nominated championship.
- Complete and submit application to the ASC prior to the nominated championship commencing.
- Not have received a Local Sporting Champions grant (individual grant or as a member of a team grant) for an application submitted in the same allocation year (1 March-28 February).
- Not have received more than $500 in Federal government funding for the nominated championship.
- Not be participating in a professional competition that involves prize money greater than $500.
Eligible competitions include:
- An official state championships endorsed by the relevant Sport Australia recognised national sporting organisation (NSO) or a school sport Australia member body.
- An official national championships endorsed by the relevant Sport Australia recognised NSO or School Sport Australia.
- An international competition as a member of an official Australian team, endorsed by a Sport Australia recognised NSO or School Sport Australia.
The main assessment criteria include:
- Quality of application (whether the applicant put time and effort into the application).
- Level of competition (international, national or State).
- Demographics of applicants.
- Distance travelled to the championships.
- Age of applicants.
- Whether the applicant has previously received an LSC grant.
The following are ineligible for funding:
- A club or State team travelling overseas.
- Development or training squads and camps.
- Ongoing seasonal competitions.
- Local and regional competitions.
- Competitions delivered by organisations not affiliated with an Australia Sports Commission recognised national sporting organisation or State sporting organisation.
- Invitational or Friendship Series competitions.