IRGP – Council on Australia Latin America Relations (COALAR)Overview
This program aims to provide seed funding to innovative projects relevant to the COALAR Business Plan 2020-2021. It is part of the International Relations Grants Program (IRGP) that promote people-to-people links and a contemporary and positive image of Australia and support for the Australian government’s international policy goals.
The objectives of the program are:
- Enhance and strengthen links between Australia and Latin America, in the priority areas of business, education, sustainability, tourism and cultural promotion (including sport).
- Influence corporate Australia to initiate closer engagement with Latin America.
- Increase awareness and understanding of Australia in Latin America, and of Latin America in Australia.
Grants between $10,000 and $50,000 (GST exclusive) are available. Co-contributions from the applicant and other parties will make their application more competitive.
A total funding pool of $300,000 is available for this grant opportunity, subject to appropriation.
Eligible applicants must be:
- One of the following entity types:
a) Australian entity with an Australian Business Number (ABN), Australian Company Number (ACN), or Indigenous Corporation Number (ICN)
b) Consortium with a lead organisation
c) Registered charity or not-for-profit organisation
d) Australian local government body
e) Australian State/Territory government body
f) Corporate Commonwealth entity
g) Australian statutory authority
h) Australian or permanent resident of Australia
i) Citizen or organisation from the countries stated in Section 2.2 of the Guidelines
j) Well-established organisation in a country specified in Section 2.2 of the Guidelines with a business purpose to advocate for Australian business, education and/or cultural interests.
- Willing to provide or develop child protection guidelines for their project if it involves people under the age of 18 years.
Applications from consortia are acceptable, provided they have a lead applicant who is the main driver of the project and is eligible as per the list above.
Individuals who intend the grant to be administered by a university should apply on behalf of the university (i.e. their university is the applicant).
Eligible projects must be relevant to one or more of the program objectives.
Eligible costs include:
- Economy flights, modest accommodation costs, meals and travel allowances, other transport
- Communication and translation
- Venue hire and catering
- Advertising and promotion, graphic design, photography and printed material
- Production costs, including freight and artists’ wages (for art-cultural projects)
- One principal speaker and the subject of the conference is of direct relevance to the grant opportunity
For activities delivered in Australia, applicants are encouraged to consider the use of an Indigenous supplier, if they intend to subcontract any of the services above.
The main assessment criteria include whether:
- The proposal will encourage Latin America – Australia connections that create, implement and communicate innovative and diverse approaches to sustainability challenges, such as environment, natural resources and energy management, smart cities and the circular economy.
- The proposal will:
a) Develop relationships with relevant stakeholders in Australia and Latin America to identify strategic collaboration and engagement opportunities.
b) Promote and support economic diplomacy projects and activities that facilitate and grow new business opportunities.
c) Support strategic two-way visits of Australia and Latin America’s leaders and influencers.
d) Promote Australia and Latin America as dynamic and diverse societies.
e) Encourage innovative approaches to strengthen links, such as technology and new capabilities.
- The proposal will articulates what a successful outcome will deliver and includes measurable indicators to evaluate success.
- The proposal will demonstrates an understanding of the goals and objectives of COALAR, value for money, and ability to plan, manage, implement and evaluate the project within agreed timeframes.
- The proposal will help increase COALAR’s online and social media presence to support connections between Australia and Latin America by producing high quality and relevant communication products.
- The proposal will promote relations between Australia and Latin America (in particular –Argentina, Brasil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, El Salvador, Ecuador, Guatemala, Mexico, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay).
Please refer to the Guidelines for the complete list of the assessment criteria.
The following are ineligible for funding:
- Not an Australian, a permanent resident of Australia or an Australian organisation and are not a citizen of, or organisation from, the countries specified in Section 2.2 of the Guidelines.
- A previous applicant who has failed to provide a full and proper acquittal of an earlier IRGP grant.
- Capital expenditure, including purchase of real estate and vehicles.
- Purchase of equipment (for example, musical instruments, computers, videos, photographic or printing equipment).
- The covering of retrospective costs or recurrent funding of activities.
Please refer to the Guidelines for the complete list of restrictions.
- Research & Development
- Business Support