Industrial Transformation Training Centres (ITTC)Overview
This program aims to foster close partnerships between university-based researchers and other researchers. It deliver innovative Higher Degree by Research (HDR) and postdoctoral training. The focus is on creating end-user research capability that is vital to Australia's future through developing solutions relevant to the Industrial Transformation Priorities.
The objectives of the program are to:
- Support opportunities for HDR candidates and postdoctoral researchers to pursue industrial training.
- Drive growth, productivity and competitiveness by linking to the relevant sectors.
- Enhance competitive research collaboration between universities and organisations outside the Australian higher education sector.
- Strengthen the capabilities of industry and research end-users in identified Industrial Transformation Priority areas.
The priorities for the 2018 funding round are:
- Advanced manufacturing
- Cyber security
- Food and agribusiness
- Medical technologies and pharmaceuticals
- Mining equipment, technology and services
- Oil, gas and energy resources
A project may be applied for and awarded funding for four or five consecutive years, subject to sufficient funding being available for the scheme, the provisions of the ARC Act, and continued satisfactory progress of the project.
The minimum level of funding provided is $650,000 per year for the first three years and $150,000 in the fourth year. There is no minimum level of funding provided in the fifth year. The maximum level of funding is $1 million per year per project, for each year of the project.
The 2018 application dates are:
- Applications open: 15 October
- Request not to assess close: 28 November
- Applications close: 12 December
- Rejoinders: 1-8 March 2019
Eligible applicants include organisations listed in Section 5.11 of the Guidelines.
Applicants must include at least one Australian Partner Organisation. They may also include additional Partner Organisations, Other Eligible Organisations and Other Organisations.
Please refer to the Guidelines for the complete information on eligibility requirements and the list of eligible organisations.
Eligible activities include those that directly support a research project. Budget items may include:
- Access to national and international research and infrastructure facilities including specialist archives, collections and databases.
- Access to technical workshop services linked to and justified explicitly against the project
- Expert services of a third party if the services are directly related to and essential for the project.
- Equipment (and its maintenance) and consumables essential for the project.
- Publication and dissemination of project research outputs and outreach activity costs.
- Specialised computer equipment and software essential to the project.
- Expenditure on field research essential to the project, including technical and logistical support, travel expenses.
- Reasonable essential costs to allow a participant who is a carer, or who personally requires care or assistance, to undertake travel essential to the project.
- Travel costs essential to the project, including economy travel costs for domestic and/or international travel and accommodation, not exceeding an average of $20,000 per year of the project.
- Web hosting and web development specific to the project.
- Workshops, focus groups and conferences that are essential for the conduct of the project.
The main assessment criteria include:
- Project quality and innovation (30%)
- Feasibility and commitment (20%)
- Benefit (30%)
- Investigator(s) (20%)
Please refer to the Guidelines for complete information on these criteria.
The following are ineligible for funding:
- Bench fees or similar laboratory access fees.
- Capital works and general infrastructure costs.
- Costs not directly related to research or the project, including but not limited to professional membership fees.
- Salaries and/or on costs, in whole or in part, for CIs or PIs.
- Top ups for personnel above any given stipend or salary levels specified in the Grant Guidelines.
- Research & Development
- Business Support