Export Market Development Grants (EMDG)Overview
This program aims to encourage small and medium sized Australian businesses to develop export markets. It is a key Australian Government financial assistance program for aspiring and current exporters which supports a wide range of industries.
The program reimburses up to 50% of eligible export promotion expenses above $5,000 provided that the total expenses are at least $15,000. It provides up to eight grants to each eligible applicant (do not need to be in consecutive years).
EMDG supports eight categories of promotional activities, including:
- Overseas representatives (up to $200,000)
- Marketing consultants (up to $50,000)
- Marketing visits (65% of first-class airfares and an allowance of $350 per day, capped at 21 days)
- Free samples (up to $15,000)
- IP registration and related insurance (up to $50,000)
- Trade fairs, seminars, in-store promotions
- Promotional literature and advertising
- Overseas buyers (a total of $7,500 per buyer per visit, totalling $45,000 per application)
The maximum grant for eligible applicants is $150,000, subject to funds available in the scheme.
Members of related company groups may apply individually. The maximum payable to a group of related companies in total is $250,000 per annum.
Grants will be paid under a split-payment system in two rounds:
- Round 1: An initial payment of grant entitlements up to the initial payment ceiling amount.
- Round 2: A second-tranche payment of grant entitlements above the initial payment ceiling amount.
A total funding pool of $137.9 million is available per year.
Applicants can use an approved EMDG Quality Incentive Program (QIP) Consultant who can lodge a claim on their behalf until midnight (AEDT) of 28 February.
Eligible applicants include any Australian individual, partnership, company, association, co-operative, statutory corporation or trust that has carried on export promotion activities during the year for which they seek an export grant can apply. The business must have:
- Income of not more than $50 million in the grant year.
- Incurred at least $15,000 of eligible expenses under the scheme (first-time applicants can combine two years expenses).
- Principal status for the export business (some exceptions apply, such as non-profit export-focused industry bodies).
- Have promoted one of the following:
a) The export of goods or most services.
b) Inbound tourism.
c) The export of intellectual property and know-how.
d) Conferences and events held in Australia.
Certain organisations and groups, who would not otherwise be eligible to apply for a grant under the general provisions of the EMDG Act can obtain approved status to enable them to apply for a grant in their own right. The two categories of approved status available are:
- Approved Body: An export-focused peak industry association promoting on behalf of its industry.
- Joint Venture: A group of small to medium Australian businesses cooperating in a joint venture-style marketing arrangement.
Please refer to the Eligibility Checklist for the complete eligibility requirements.
Eligible products must be one of the following:
- A good made in Australia.
- A good made outside Australia where Australia will derive a significant net benefit from its sale overseas.
- A service except those specified as ineligible in the EMDG Regulations.
- A tourism service (including accommodation, passenger transport or tours).
- A event held in Australia.
- An intellectual property right that mainly resulted from work done in Australia.
- A trade mark first used in Australia, or which has significantly increased in value from its use in Australia.
- Know-how that mainly resulted from work done in Australia.
Please refer to EMDG in Brief for the list of ineligible expenses and exports.
- Research & Development
- Business Support
|EMDG in Brief||2017-12-07||Download|
|Guide to Export||2017-12-07||Download|
|Approved Body Requirements||2017-12-07||Download|
|Fact Sheet - Performance Measure||2017-12-07||Download|
|IP Registration and Related Insurance||2017-12-07||Download|
|Guide to Record Keeping||2017-12-07||Download|
|Approved Joint Venture Status||2018-06-27||Download|
|Guide to Applying||2018-06-27||Download|
|EMDG at a Glance||2018-06-27||Download|
Use these documents as a guide only - always get the latest direct from the Administrator