Export Market Development Grants (EMDG)Overview
This program aims to encourage businesses to increase international marketing and promotion expenditure to achieve more sustainable international sales. The program is a key Australian Government financial assistance program for small to medium aspiring and growing export-ready businesses.
The scheme reimburses up to 50% of eligible export promotion expenses above $5,000 provided that the total expenses are at least $15,000. It supports eight categories of promotional activities, including:
- Overseas representatives (up to $200,000)
- Marketing consultants (up to $50,000)
- Marketing visits (65% of first-class airfares and an allowance of $350 per day, capped at 21 days)
- Free samples (up to $15,000)
- IP registration and related insurance (up to $50,000)
- Trade fairs, seminars, in-store promotions
- Promotional literature and advertising
- Overseas buyers (a total of $7,500 per buyer per visit, totalling $45,000 per application)
Each applicant may receive a grant of up to $150,000 per application (subject to available funds), to a maximum of eight annual grants. GST will not apply to EMDG grants.
Members of related company groups may apply individually. The maximum payable to a group of related companies in total is $250,000 per year.
Grants will be paid under a split-payment system which will be paid in two rounds:
- Round 1: An initial payment of grant entitlements up to the initial payment ceiling amount.
- Round 2: A second-tranche payment of grant entitlements above the initial payment ceiling amount (subject to available funds).
Applicants must complete and submit their online application, including all required documents, between 1 July and 30 November 2020, or use an approved EMDG Quality Incentive Program (QIP) Consultant who can lodge a claim on their behalf until 2 March 2021.
A total funding pool of $137.9 million is available annually.
On 1 April 2020, the Federal Government announced an increase in funding for this scheme by $49.8 million in the 2019-20 financial year. This supplements the additional $60 million already committed by the Government, and brings EMDG funding to its highest level in more than 20 years at $207.7 million for the 2019-20 financial year.
Eligible applicants include any Australian individual, partnership, company, association, co-operative, statutory corporation or trust carrying on business in Australia that must:
- Had an annual income of not more than $50 million during 2018-19.
- Spent at least $15,000 on eligible export promotion activities during 2018-19. First time applicants may combine expenses incurred in 2017-18 and 2018-19 to meet this threshold.
- Are the principal – they must own the product they are promoting (some exceptions apply).
Certain organisations and groups, who would not otherwise be eligible to apply for a grant under the general provisions of the EMDG Act can obtain approved status to enable them to apply for a grant in their own right. The two categories of approved status available are:
- Approved Body: An export-focused peak industry association promoting on behalf of its industry.
- Joint Venture: A group of small to medium Australian businesses cooperating in a joint venture-style marketing arrangement.
Please refer to the Eligibility Checklist for the complete eligibility requirements.
Eligible products must be one of the following:
- A good made in Australia.
- A good made outside Australia where Australia will derive a significant net benefit from its sale overseas.
- A service except those specified as ineligible in the EMDG Regulations.
- A tourism service (including accommodation, passenger transport or tours).
- A event held in Australia.
- An intellectual property right that mainly resulted from work done in Australia.
- A trade mark first used in Australia, or which has significantly increased in value from its use in Australia.
- Know-how that mainly resulted from work done in Australia.
Please refer to EMDG in Brief for the list of ineligible expenses and exports.
- Research & Development
- Business Support
|Declaration by Consutant Applicant||2019-07-01||Download|
|Guide to Record Keeping||2019-07-01||Download|
|Declaration by Self-Prepared Applicant||2019-07-01||Download|
|EMDG In Brief||2019-07-01||Download|
|Complete EMDG Administrative Guidelines||2019-04-03||Download|
Use these documents as a guide only - always get the latest direct from the Administrator