Business Research and Innovation Initiative (BRII)Overview
This program aims to drive innovation within small to medium sized enterprises (SMEs) and government by encouraging the development of innovative solutions by SMEs to public policy and service delivery challenges.
The five challenges are:
- Fast and secure digital identity verification for people experiencing domestic violence
- Intelligent data to transform tourism service delivery
- Uplifting government capability to help deliver worldleading digital services
- Managing the risks of hitchhiking pests and contaminants on shipping containers
- Automating complex determinations for Australian Government information
The program has three stages:
1. Challenge selection
- Government agencies submit challenges. Innovation and Science Australia assess and shortlist the challenges. The Minister then decides and announces the successful challenges.
2. Feasibility study
- Grants of up to $100,000 with maximum grant period of three months are available.
- A total funding pool of $2 million is available.
3. Proof of concept
- Those grantees that successfully complete the feasibility study will be able to apply for the proof of concept stage.
- Grants of up to $1 million with a maximum grant period of 18 months are available.
- A total funding pool of $10 million is available.
Eligible applicants must:
- Have an Australian Business Number (ABN).
- Be one of the following entities:
a) A company, incorporated in Australia.
b) An incorporated trustee on behalf of a trust.
c) An individual or partnership, provided you agree to form a company incorporated in Australia to enter into a grant agreement.
- Have a turnover of less than $20 million for each of the last three years. This includes the turnover of any related bodies corporate. If an Australian university or public sector research organisation controls their company, their turnover must be less than $20 million for each of the last three years.
Newly established companies are welcome to apply.
Joint applications are acceptable, provided they have a lead applicant who is the main driver of the project and is eligible to apply.
Please refer to the Guidelines for the list of ineligible applicants.
Eligible projects must include eligible activities and eligible expenditure.
Eligible activities must directly relate to the project and can include work to determine:
- The technical viability of the proposed solution.
- The novelty of the proposed solution compared to existing offerings.
- The commercial potential of the proposed solution in domestic and/or international markets.
Eligible expenditure must:
- Be incurred by you within the project period.
- Be a direct cost of the project.
- Ce incurred by you to undertake required project audit activities.
- Meet the eligible expenditure Guidelines.
The main assessment criteria include:
- Extent that their proposed solution meets the challenge (30 points)
- Market opportunity of their proposed solution (30 points)
- Capacity, capability and resources to deliver the project (40 points)
Please refer to the Guidelines for the complete list of the assessment criteria.
- Research & Development
- Business Support
|Recipients - Feasibility Study||2018-12-14||Download|
|Recipients - Proof of Concept||2018-12-14||Download|
|Challenge 1 - Fast and secure digital identity verification for people experiencing domestic violence||2019-02-26||Download|
|Challenge 2 - Intelligent data to transform tourism service delivery||2019-02-26||Download|
|Challenge 3 - Uplifting government capability to help deliver world-leading digital services||2019-02-26||Download|
|Challenge 4 - Managing the biosecurity of hitchhiking pests and contaminants on shipping containers||2019-02-26||Download|
|Challenge 5 - Automating complex determinations for Australian Government information||2019-02-26||Download|
|Sample Grant Agreement||2019-02-26||Download|
|Letter of Support||2019-02-26||Download|
|Financial Turnover Declaration||2019-02-26||Download|
Use these documents as a guide only - always get the latest direct from the Administrator