Building Better Regions Fund (BBRF) – OverviewOverview
This program seeks to support the Australian government’s commitment to create jobs, drive economic growth and build stronger regional communities into the future. It will fund projects in regional Australia outside the major capital cities of Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, and Canberra. This supersedes the National Stronger Regions Fund (NSRF).
The program is designed to achieve the following outcomes in regional and remote communities:
- Create jobs
- Have a positive impact on economic activity, including Indigenous economic participation through employment and supplier-use outcomes
- Enhance community facilities
- Enhance leadership capacity
- Encourage community cohesion and sense of identity
There are two streams of funding available under the program:
1. Infrastructure projects
- Grants between $20,000 and $10 million are available.
- For most projects grant funding will be up to 50% or up to 75% of the eligible project costs.
2. Community investments
- Grants between $5,000 and $10 million are available, however given the nature of eligible projects most grants will be under $100,000.
- For projects with a total project cost of more than $20,000, grant funding will be up to 50% or up to 75% of the eligible project costs. For small projects with a total project value of less than $20,000, grant funding will be up to 100% of eligible project costs.
A total funding pool of $641.6 million is available over four years from 2016-17 to 2020-21.
As announced in the 2018-19 Federal Budget, the government is providing $206.5 million for a third round of the Building Better Regions Fund. This includes $45 million to improve tourism-related infrastructure, supporting demand driven projects that ensure the benefits of government investment can be multiplied across the tourism sector in the regions. This investment increases the funding available to the Building Better Regions Fund to $641.6 million
Please refer to the individual streams for the specific eligibility requirements.Eligible Activities
Please refer to the individual Guidelines of each stream for the specific eligible projects/activities.Main Assessment Criteria
Please refer to the Guidelines for the specific assessment criteria of each stream.Restrictions
Please refer to the individual Guidelines of each stream for the specific ineligible projects/activities.
- Research & Development
- Business Support
|Recipients - Community Investments Stream||2018-08-13||Download|
|Recipients - Infrastructure Projects Stream||2018-08-13||Download|
|Guidelines - Infrastructure Projects Stream||2018-09-27||Download|
|Guidelines - Community Investments Stream||2018-09-27||Download|
Use these documents as a guide only - always get the latest direct from the Administrator