Building Better Regions Fund (BBRF) – Infrastructure Projects StreamOverview
This program seeks to support projects which involve the construction of new infrastructure, or the upgrade or extension of existing infrastructure that provide economic and social benefits to regional and remote areas. It is one of the funding streams of the $641.6 million Building Better Regions Fund (BBRF) which aims to support the Australian government’s commitment to create jobs, drive economic growth and build stronger regional communities into the future.
The program will fund projects in regional Australia outside the major capital cities of Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, and Canberra.
Grants between $20,000 and $10 million are available. Applicants are required to provide a co-funding contribution with the following ratio:
- 3:1 for projects classified as remote or very remote. The total government funding is up to 75% of the eligible project cost.
- 1:1 for all other classifications. The total government funding is up to 50% of eligible project cost.
- Projects that are granted an exceptional circumstances co-funding exemption are exempted from co-funding (although any level of contribution is encouraged). The total government funding is up to 100% of eligible project cost.
A total funding pool of $200 million is available in Round 3, with up to $45 million of this funding earmarked to support tourism related infrastructure projects.
Eligible applicants must have an Australian Business Number (ABN) and be one of the following incorporated entities:
- An incorporated not for profit organisation. As a not for profit organisation they must demonstrate their not for profit status through one of the following:
a) Current Australian Charities and Not for profits Commission's (ACNC) Registration
b) State or Territory incorporated association status
c) Constitutional documents and/or Articles of Association that demonstrate the not for profit character of the organisation.
- An Australian local government agency or body as defined in appendix A of the grant opportunity Guidelines.
- Non-distributing co-operatives.
Please refer to the Guidelines for the complete eligibility requirements.
Eligible projects must:
- Be for new infrastructure or the upgrade or extension of existing infrastructure.
- Include eligible activities and eligible expenditure..
- Not have started construction.
- Be ready to commence shortly after executing the grant agreement.
Eligible activities must directly relate to the project and must be one of the following:
- The construction of new infrastructure.
- The upgrade to existing infrastructure.
- The extension of existing infrastructure.
- The replacement of infrastructure where there is a significant increase in benefit.
Please refer to the Guidelines for the list of eligible expenditure.
The main assessment criteria include:
- Economic benefits of the project for the region (15 points)
- Social benefits of the project for the region (15 points)
- Capacity, capability and resources to deliver the project (5 points)
- Impact of grant funding on the project (5 points)
Please refer to the Guidelines for the complete list of the assessment criteria.
The following are ineligible for funding:
- A for profit organisation.
- An individual, partnership or trust (however, an incorporated trustee may apply on behalf of a trust).
- A Commonwealth, State or Territory government agency or body (including government business enterprises).
- A university, technical college, school or hospital.
- Purchase of land or existing infrastructure, including the costs associated with sub-division of land.
- Repair or replacement of existing infrastructure where there is no demonstrated significant increase in benefit.
- Purchase and installation of manufacturing equipment.
- Purchase of unfixed furniture, such as desks and fridges.
- Ongoing operating costs, including utilities and staffing.
Please refer to the Guidelines for the complete list of restrictions.
- Research & Development
- Business Support
|Sample Application Form||2018-09-27||Download|
|Sample Grant Agreement - Small to Medium Projects||2018-09-27||Download|
|Sample Grant Agreement - Large Projects||2018-09-27||Download|
|Evidence of Contribution Letter Template||2018-09-27||Download|
|Accountant Declaration Template||2018-09-27||Download|
Use these documents as a guide only - always get the latest direct from the Administrator