Building Better Regions Fund (BBRF) – Community Investments StreamOverview
This program aims to fund community development activities including, but not limited to, new or expanded local events, strategic regional plans, leadership and capability building activities. It seeks to invests in projects located in, or benefiting eligible areas outside the major capital cities of Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, and Canberra.
The program is one of the funding streams of the $841.6 million Building Better Regions Fund (BBRF) which aims to support the Australian Government's commitment to create jobs, drive economic growth and build stronger regional communities into the future.
Round 4 of this program seeks to support projects benefiting local communities in drought-affected areas and aims to provide both economic and social benefits.
Grants of between $5,000 and $1 million are available. Applicants are required to provide a co-contribution under the following circumstances:
- For projects classified as remote or very remote, the total government funding is up to 75% of total eligible project cost.
- For projects granted exceptional circumstances exempt from a cash contribution, the total government funding is up to 100% of total eligible project cost.
- For projects with a total grant amount of equal to or less than $20,000, the total government funding is up to 100% of total eligible project cost (any level of contribution is encouraged).
- All other classifications, the total government funding is up to 50% of total eligible project cost.
A total funding pool of $200 million is available for Round 4 (for both Infrastructure Projects and Community Investments streams).
Eligible applicants must have an Australian Business Number (ABN) and be one of the following incorporated entities:
- An incorporated not for profit organisation. As a not for profit organisation they must demonstrate their not for profit status through one of the following:
a) Current Australian Charities and Not for profits Commission’s (ACNC) Registration
b) State or Territory incorporated association status
c) Constitutional documents and/or Articles of Association that demonstrate the not for profit character of the organisation
- An Australian local government agency or body as defined in appendix A of the Guidelines
- Non-distributing co-operatives
Please refer to the Guidelines for the complete eligibility requirements.
Eligible projects must:
- Be aimed at new or expanded local events, strategic regional plans, or leadership and capability strengthening activities that provide economic and social benefits to regional and remote areas.
- Comprise one of the following activities:
a) Local events
b) Strategic planning
c) Regional leadership and capability
- Not have commenced.
The project must not be located in an excluded area unless applicants can clearly demonstrate the significant benefits and employment outcomes, which flow directly into an eligible area.
In addition, the project must take place in a drought-affected location, as outlined under 2.1.1 of the Guidelines.
Please refer to the Guidelines for the complete list of eligible activities/expenditure.
The main assessment criteria include:
- Economic benefits of the project for the region (15 points)
- Social benefits of the project for the region (15 points)
- Capacity, capability and resources to deliver the project (5 points)
- Impact of grant funding on the project (5 points)
Please refer to the Guidelines for the complete list of the assessment criteria.
The following are ineligible for funding:
- A for-profit organisation.
- An individual, partnership or trust (however, an incorporated trustee may apply on behalf of a not for profit trust organisation).
- A Commonwealth, state or territory government agency or body (including governmentbusiness enterprises) with the exception of those organisations referred to in section 4.1 of the Guidelines.
- A university, technical college, school or hospital.
- A Regional Development Australia Committee.
Please refer to the Guidelines for the list of ineligible activities/expenditure.
- Research & Development
- Business Support
|Fact Sheet - Employment Outcomes||2019-11-18||Download|
|Sample Standard Grant Agreement||2019-11-18||Download|
|Fact Sheet - Are You Ready to Apply||2019-11-18||Download|
|Accountants Declaration Template||2019-11-18||Download|
|Sample Application Form||2019-11-18||Download|
|Evidence of Contribution Template||2019-11-18||Download|
Use these documents as a guide only - always get the latest direct from the Administrator