ARC Linkage Infrastructure, Equipment and Facilities (LIEF) SchemeOverview
This program aims to enable higher education researchers to participate in cooperative initiatives so that expensive infrastructure, equipment and facilities can be shared between higher education organisations and also with industry. It also fosters collaboration through its support of the cooperative use of international or national research facilities.
The objectives of the scheme are to:
- Encourage eligible organisations to develop collaborative arrangements with other eligible organisations, higher education institutions and/or their partner organisations to develop and support research infrastructure.
- Support large-scale national or international cooperative initiatives thereby allowing expensive research infrastructure to be shared and/or accessed.
- Support areas of existing and/or emerging research strength.
- Support and develop research infrastructure for the broader research community.
Funding of up to 75% of the total direct cost of the research infrastructure, with a minimum of $150,000, is available per year. Applicants are required to make a minimum cash contribution of 25% of the total direct cost.
Funding duration is up to one to five years if the application is for the construction of research infrastructure, or subscription or coordinated access to international facilities and major national facilities.
The 2020 application dates are:
- Proposals open: 29 January
- Request not to assess close: 18 March
- Proposals close: 1 April
- Rejoinders: 1-15 June
Eligible applicants include Eligible Organisations listed in the Guidelines.
Please refer to the Guidelines for the complete eligibility requirements.
Eligible items are those which directly support provision of research infrastructure for use in research projects may be funded, including:
- Purchase, upgrade, transportation of, installation of, maintenance of and/or management of access to the research infrastructure, including costs such as import taxes (and other similar expenses) for purchasing equipment, and salaries, including 30% on-costs, directly associated with these activities.
- Construction of research infrastructure, for up to five years. This includes salaries, including 30% on-costs, directly associated with this activity.
- Integrated research facilities consisting of multiple components which can be used either simultaneously or serially for research projects (where each of these research projects is integrated by having a single research aim or theme).
- Subscription or coordinated access to international facilities and major national facilities (enabled under a written agreement between the administering organisation and the relevant international or national facility), for up to five years.
- Specialised computing facilities and software essential to the project.
- Compilations, catalogues, clearing houses or bibliographies that build on and develop other current or recent competitively funded projects/programs.
The main assessment criteria include:
- Project quality and innovation (25%)
- Feasibility (25%)
- Investigator(s) (20%)
- Benefit (30%)
Please refer to the Guidelines for the complete list of the assessment criteria.
The following are ineligible for funding:
- Basic facilities that should normally be funded by an administering organisation, eligible organisation and/or partner organisation (including standard refurbishment costs of a laboratory).
- Costs of accommodation associated with the use of the proposed research infrastructure.
- Maintenance costs of the proposed research infrastructure after the first year of the project.
- Operational costs.
- Salaries and/or on costs, in whole or in part, for research using the facility (for example, for research support personnel).
- Teaching and/or teaching relief.
- Travel costs associated with use of the proposed research infrastructure.
- Fee-for-service costs where the proposal does not lead to capability building or development of the research infrastructure.
- Research & Development
- Business Support